Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Going Naked

Rain has been having issues standing for the mounting block. Who could blame her? It's not like they practice standing still for that on the track; one person leads the horse, one person boosts the jockey, and the jock hops on while the horse is walking (or trotting, sometimes) forward. So I decided that tonight, we'd work on it. Bonnie suggested that every time Rain moved, she be put to work.

So, I dragged the mounting block into the round pen, and dragged Rain in, too. I decided that I didn't want a saddle, because I had some weird hang-up about getting caught up halfway in a stirrup if she got stupid. So, bareback it was. And, I figured, why not go all natural horsemanship-esque and just use a halter and lead rope (plus I didn't want to be jerking on her face with a bit in her mouth if she happened to walk off while I was still on the mounting block).

It started off rough, ain't gonna lie. She trotted a lot of circles in the round pen before she decided that standing still was easier than wiggling all over the place. I got her to stand still, then laid all over her, patted her everywhere. Finally I told myself to stop being a pansy and just swing my leg over. She stood like a rock. I was thrilled. So then I slid off. Then I did it all over again. We tooled all over the round pen, stopped, backed up. Rain was so quiet. I continued to be thrilled.

Please ignore the glowing eye.

No comments:

Post a Comment