Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Acquiring Rain

Rain is a 4-year-old thoroughbred mare, who I purchased for a whopping $200.00. Prior to me owning her, she raced 6 times during her 2-year-old year. Apparently not motivated to be a runner, she only won one race; her maiden. It was a 2 furlong race. Up until I bought Rain, I didn't even know that 2 furlongs was a distance Thoroughbreds ran; something that short is more like a Quarter Horse distance.

Her registered name is Cat Skylar. For those who follow bloodlines, she's a Storm Cat on the sire side, and a Mr. Prospector on the dam side. Her former owner called her Cat, but I thought that was boring. While brainstorming barn names one night, I asked my half-asleep fiance what he thought I should call her. "Cloud," he mumbled. I discounted that (poor half-asleep fiance); then suddenly hit on Rain. So that stuck. It turned out to be pretty fitting, since the first ride I put on her as her new owner was under a gray sky, with rain falling intermittently. I couldn't have cared less that it was raining; I was putting my first ride on the first horse I've ever owned.

No comments:

Post a Comment