Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Small Victories

Rain and I, with the assistance of our trainer, have been making progress. 

In a move that has proven to be positive for pony and I, we moved to a new barn. Here she gets turn out twice a week, fed 3 times per day, and someone is around to watch her and all the boarded horses 24 hours per day. The other major benefit to the new barn is that it is a primary barn for Trainer, so I get to take a regular, once-per-week lesson on my horse. The other thing I enjoy about the new barn is that it has a very active, friendly clientele. There's frequently someone to ride with or talk to, and everyone is extremely welcoming. 

While Trainer is slightly miffed that Rain doesn't yet go in any semblance of a frame, I'm happy with our progress. I have a horse that I'm not scared to ride, that I can ride without lunging first, that I enjoy spending time with. She's not a crazy OTTB. We make progress forward, she's an eager-to-learn, kind horse. I figure that, as an amateur working on a re-training project, we're doing pretty well. I take pride in the fact that I'm the only person who rides my horse; that aside from our once-per-week lesson, any progress we're making is a personal victory for us. Rain is not in full-training; she's not be re-trained by a professional. I'm an amateur, learning as I go. So, you know, I take our knocks as we get them and take our victories (however small) as we get them, too. And I'm OK with that.

No comments:

Post a Comment