Thursday, March 15, 2012

Say "Ahhh!"

So I've had this...thing...lump...in the back of my mouth behind my molars for the last couple of days. It almost feels like a tooth is trying to erupt. But since I'm, you know, well past the teething age, and my wisdom teeth have already been removed, I had no idea what it could be. I touched it, and messed with it with my tongue, and squeezed on it (painful), to try to see if anything (like pus) would come out. No dice.

So at the barn today, as I'm handing off a saddled horse to Trainer, I say "Dude, I need you to look in my mouth at this lump I have. And see if it's like an abscess or a...something...or what it is." It's totally normal to have a trainer who is, well, your trainer, plus your (equine) dentist, plus your boss, right? That's totally normal?

Anyway. Trainer is a certified equine dentist, and being that I currently have no health insurance, I figured she could at least peer in there and see if she saw anything. An abscess is an abscess, across species lines. So later, Trainer/Dentist/Boss snapped on some latex gloves, fired up a flashlight (her iPhone flashlight) and stuck her hands in my mouth. Well, a couple of fingers, anyway (don't be a pervert, people). She poked at it, and prodded it, and declared that it's way harder to work on small human mouth than a big horse mouth, and finally told me there was nothing she could see. "It's inflamed, but I can't see any abscess or wound or anything. If it's not better in a couple days, I'll look at it again."

I wish I could better set the stage for how this must have looked. One woman, several of her fingers in the mouth of another woman, both standing in the middle of a barn aisle. Yeah, sometimes being a horse person is kind of freaky.

Anyway, I had a lesson before the mouth shenanigans went on, and Trainer took this bit of video.
I'm happy Rain looks good. I have some questions about myself, though. For example, why do I post funny? Also, why do my arms look ram-rod straight? They feel bent when I'm riding, and they must not be completely awful, or Trainer wouldn't hesitate to call me on it. But moving on. If you compare this video to the last video of Rain from several months ago, she looks about 1000% better. Hooray for progress!


No comments:

Post a Comment