Sunday, March 4, 2012

A Hot Forge and a Field Trip

The shoer came out a couple days ago and did a bunch of Trainer's client horses and some of her personal horses. I ended up holding horses for what felt like forever. I'd never seen a shoer hot-shoe before, and took the opportunity to take a photo of a red-hot horseshoe. According to the farrier, for a shoe to glow red-hot, it has to be at around 2000 degrees. I don't even want to think about what kind of damage 2000 degrees could do to one's skin.

Then the ponies went on a field trip. When I texted my friend and told her I wouldn't be making it to a dinner for a mutual friend that evening, I told her it was because Rain was going on a field trip, and she responded, "Your horse is going on a field trip? Will she learn anything? It this an educational field trip?"
I chuckled to myself and answered, "It is an educational field trip. It's called 'learn to have a brain when off the farm.'" Rain has to learn how to hang on to her brain when away from the farm, so she got to ride along to a barrel racing practice. She was actually surprisingly good. She was in the company of Leo, a barrel racing and traveling veteran, and Cara, who is not a veteran of anything. I'm proud to say that my mare did as well as, if not better than, Cara (who has been hauled to events a couple of times before). Rain met cows and foals and a hot walker.

She thought cows were dumb and ugly and smelly and good-for-nothing. Wait. Maybe that's just me projecting my feelings about cows onto my horse. Oops.
Leo is ready to go "turn and burn."
She didn't break anything or kill anyone, so I consider the trip a success. She stood tied to the arena, and only dug a small hole. It was more long and shallow than deep, so it was easy to fill up before we left to head back to the barn.
Rain stands next to Cara, before Trainer and I oh-so-cruelly made her stand by herself.

In solitary on the other side of the arena.





No comments:

Post a Comment